*     *     *     *     *

The Flag of Arizona.

     Phoenix, Arizona, USA

     Saturday, 13th July 1996

     What in the hell am I doing in Phoenix, in the middle of summer?  No doubt you’re asking yourself, dear reader.

     To maintain a level of proficiency and safety, airline pilots are required to annually attend ground school and flight simulator training on emergencies, known as “Recurrent Training.”  Since my last “Recurrent” had taken place in November of 1992 at England, I was long overdue for another one.

     Therefore I whistled back to the States to get “Recurrent” at Jet Tech International in Phoenix.  What prompted this was “feelers” from an aviation head-hunting group out of Melbourne, Australia, supplying pilots for a new airline in the Philippines called “Grand Air.”  If I completed “Recurrent Training,” on my own nickel, they were prepared to offer me a 737 Captain’s position, based at Manila.

     On this day I finished eight hours of ground school, and four hours of emergencies in the flight simulator, on the Boeing 737-200A; being issued a graduation certificate as proof.

B-737-200 Flight Simulator.

     Four days later, using the America West Airlines classroom and simulator, I also accomplished the transition to the Boeing 737-300 all glass cockpit.  In addition, Jet Tech issued me another graduation certificate on the 300.

B-737-300 Flight Simulator.

     Upon faxing my graduation certificates to the Aussies, they immediately hired me and told me to report to Manila at the end of September 1996.

     Aside from the faxes and a couple of phone calls, I never actually met the Aussies, dear reader.  I was also informed by them that my paychecks would be issued in U.S. Dollars out of bank in Hong Kong.  

     This was turning out to be another “Terry and the Pirates” adventure.  I hope.

                *     *     *     *     *


Comments

Popular posts from this blog