*     *     *     *     *

Flag of Egypt.
Flag of Cairo
Cairo at night.

     On 2nd November 1989, I performed my first trip to Cairo for SIA.  Coming from a Bangkok layover, we were required to fly across Saudi Arabia, and, as we approached Wejh on the Red Sea’s east coast, Jeddah Control instructed us to contact Cairo Control at waypoint “SILKA,” located in the middle of the Red Sea, on 126.60; a VHF frequency.

     At that moment I felt the Saudi Controller had screwed up; he should have given us an HF frequency.  Because way back in 1982, when I operated my last 707 flight to Cairo for SAUDIA, their Russian VHF radios could barely reach as far as one could spit - hence requiring WWII HF radio contact.  With all its static noise, plus a “Gypo” controller who didn’t at once respond (on a goat-break no doubt) and, after calling him repeatedly, when he finally did reply, his Arab-accented, broken English was difficult to understand.

     Boy was I in for a surprise, dear reader; in fact three big surprises.

     As we reached “SILKA,” with trepidation I attempted contact with Cairo Control on the VHF frequency; fully expecting dead air in reply.  Instead an Egyptian male voice, with an American accent, instantly responded, clearing me to Cairo via airway A10.  The transmission was crystal clear and quite strong.

     “What the hell!” I thought.  Then repeated his instructions; after which the USAF’s “Red Flag” exercise popped to mind.

     “PING.”

Silverbow, Nevada: a USAF Red Flag Russian MiG-21 and MiG-23.

     I recalled the Air Force Colonel I flew from Silverbow back to Nellis AFB, in Nevada, who told me that most of the Russian fighters used in Red Flag had come from the Egyptian Air Force.  Evidently, after the Egyptians kicked the Russians out of bed, the Americans climbed in; bringing fighters, better radio equipment and training.

     That brings me to my second huge surprise, which confirmed my suspicion.  For as we neared Cairo International Airport, the controller handed us off to Cairo Approach Control, who, without delay, began radar vectoring us for final approach to Runway Five Right (050°/230° magnetic, NE/SW). 

     “This is impossible!” my stunned brain concluded.  “Egyptian Controllers don’t know how to radar vector!  At least they didn’t back in 1982.”

     So what’s a “radar vector,” dear reader?  Using his radar screen, the controller gives us headings to fly, keeping other air traffic away from us, while allowing us to use short cuts to final approach.  It saves a ton of fuel and money; plus getting us on the ground faster.

Night time approach to Runway Five Right at Cairo.

     And when we rolled out on final approach, which was at night, I was presented with surprise number three.

     Back in 1982 roughly half of the approach lights were usually burned out!  Resembling jewels scattered across the sand, making little sense, and not helping a pilot whatsoever in locating the runway’s touchdown zone; as the “Gypos” were either too lazy, or too broke, to change the light bulbs.

     Tonight however, in 1987, all approach lights were operating perfectly, making our landing a lot easier and safer.  Thank God for the USAF’s “Yankee invasion” of Egypt, dear reader!

Day time approach to the same runway – note the open, flat desert.

     The airline then put us up at a very unique hotel: the Cairo Marriott.

     In the heart of Cairo, and in the middle of the River Nile, there is an island called Gezira. Under the 19th century ruler, Pasha Khediva Isma’il, the island was first called "Jardin des Plantes" (French for "Garden of Plants"), for its monumental collection of exotic plants shipped from all over the world.

     In addition, upon the opening of the Suez Canal, in 1869, the Pasha invited Napoleon III and his wife, the Empress Eugenie, for the opening ceremonies.  In preparation for this event, and to make the Empress feel more at home, the Pasha had the Gezirah Palace built on this island; ordering it to be constructed along the lines of the French palace at Versailles.

     Could it be that the Pasha had a bit of a crush on Eugenie?  That’s really none of your business, dear reader.

The Cairo Marriott: Note the two newer towers with the older, lower Gezirah Palace in between. 

     Since then the Gezirah Palace changed hands many times, until being snapped up by Marriott in 1970.  Who eventually flanked the original palace, with two 20 storied towers; making it the largest hotel with a thousand rooms.

     On one of my layovers, purely by accident, I wound up at the Saraya Gallery for breakfast with a South African Flight Engineer named Patrick.  We sat at a plush corner of the old Gezirah Palace, in overstuffed leather chairs, with Persian carpets covering the marbled floor, plus ornate brass lanterns producing a soft light, and two, bigger-than-life, portraits of Napoleon III and Empress Eugenie.  Who, despite the fact I was having a French breakfast of coffee and croissants, appeared to be looking snootily down on me with disdain.

Portraits of Napoleon III and Empress Eugenie.

     Somehow the subject of how we chose flying for an occupation came up, and Pat told me a rather strange tale.

     It seems under the South African training scheme, ship’s engineers and flight engineers start out taking identical courses.  At the appropriate interval, Pat selected ships and continued his training on a South African tanker, where he had the misfortune of ending up in a violent storm off the South Carolina Coast in the States.  Their tanker was full of crude oil, which helped them to ride out the storm.  Subsequently, another tanker came down the coast in the opposite direction.  And as they passed Pat’s ship, because it was empty, this strange tanker started to flex in the trough of the massive waves.  So much so, that Pat actually saw it break in half!  

     Pat’s tanker stopped to pick up survivors. In horror, Pat witnessed the broken tanker’s lifeboats being smashed to splinters as the storm slammed them against the ship’s iron hull; spilling sailors into the sea’s maelstrom.  Not one crewmember survived.  Consequently, Pat was forced to view the broken tanker slip beneath the gigantic, violent waves.

     Upon his return to South Africa, Pat immediately transferred to aircraft and ultimately got hired by South African Airways.  Upon retirement, he joined Singapore Airlines as a 747 Flight Engineer, winding up here on my crew at Cairo.

     On another layover at Cairo, I had the good fortune to hook up with Jason and Ursula, from Athens, who were performing in a Cairo nightclub.  After their show they took me, and several other dancers, to another nightclub where we were joined by three of Egyptian President Mubarak’s bodyguards.  These polite, swarthy gentlemen were neatly dressed, clean-cut, and resembled husky clones; who were dating girls in the show.

Jason and Ursula in costume for their show.
     After consuming a few drinks in this after-hours club, Jason and Ursula began acting in a strange manner.  Both commenced chanting: “Break the bottle.  Break the bottle.”

     At which point the other dancers joined in: “Break the bottle. Break the bottle.”

     As for me, dear reader, I sat there totally in the dark completely mum.  What in Christ’s good name was going on here?

      President Mubarak’s bodyguards.
     Finally one of the well-built bodyguards threw down his napkin, abruptly stood up and seized a corked, full bottle of local Egyptian wine.  Clenching the neck of the bottle in his left hand, he took his right with the palm opened, and brought the flat of his hand down on the cork; doing so in a gentle motion as if lining up a blow.  He did this twice.

     All the while everyone, except baffled me, is still chanting: “Break the bottle.  Break the bottle.”

     On the third stroke, the bodyguard brought the flat of his hand down with tremendous force at lightning speed!  I got the impression he was in reality attempting to drive his hand through the bottle!  At the instant he made contact...the bottom of the bottle broke in a neat circle of solid glass...showering the floor in cheap wine.

     Wow!  I’d never want to meet this guy in a dark alley, dear reader.

     We all applauded; the bodyguard took a bow.

     When we left the club, Jason and Ursula snagged a taxi and we went to the apartment they were sharing with other dancers.  They told me to wait in the taxi – holding it – while they changed to sweaters, jeans and sneakers.  Rejoining me, we then went to my hotel, where I also changed clothes.

     Returning to the taxi, Jason and Ursula instructed the driver to take us out of Cairo.  After leaving the city’s limit far behind, entering the desert, we reached a stable. Jason and Ursula picked out their favorite horses, and I wound up with a nag two steps away from the glue factory.  Luckily they gave us western saddles – so I could hang onto the horn – for I had exceeded my booze limit that night.

     It was dark when a guide on horseback, with a pack donkey in tow, led us single file out to the black bowels of the  desert.

     So far I haven’t a clue, dear reader, as to where we are, or for that matter what in hell we’re doing out here.  Whenever I ask Jason or Ursula – they look at each other and snicker.

     Should I be worried, dear reader?

     After traveling along, with my nag stumbling in the dark, on a journey that seemed to last forever, the guide at length brought our caravan to a halt.  After hobbling the livestock, the guide made camp; building a fire to boil Arabic coffee.

     As we sit around our small campfire on prayer rugs, munching freshly baked flat bread and dates - sipping thick, sweet black coffee – it begins to get light towards the east.  In so doing, I subsequently figured out what my good friends have arranged for me. 

     Completely dumb-founded, and in great awe, I stood up and muttered: “S-Son of a bitch...those are the fucking p-pyramids!”

     Looming out of the gloom to the east of us, the monumental silhouettes of the Pyramids at Giza slowly took shape, as the ancient Egyptian God Ra embarked on His ascent.

     Jason and Ursula laughed with glee; their joke paid off handsomely.

     Crumpling back down to my rug on the sand, I felt as if I’m a blind man suddenly being given the gift of sight.

     At last the sun crested the horizon to the east, spilling the pyramids long shadows across the desert floor.  Roughly a quarter-mile off to our right, I observed the smallest pyramids of Menkaure and the three Pyramids of the Queens.  In front of us was the much larger Pyramid of Khafre, and beyond, to our left, was the Great Pyramid of Khufu.

If you’re an astronaut, this is how the pyramids at Giza appear from space.

From left to right: the Great Pyramid of Khufu, the Pyramid of Khafre, the pyramid of Menkaure and the three Pyramids of the Queens.

I couldn’t see the Sphinx as it was hidden on the other side of

 the Pyramid of Khafre.

     When Julius Caesar first viewed them from the deck of a luxury galley being rowed up the Nile, with Cleopatra on his arm, the pyramids were already well over 2,000 years old.  I wondered if they had the same impact on him, as they were having on me.  I honestly knew, dear reader, this was the closest I’d ever come to a religious experience.

     One of my favorite hangouts during my Cairo layovers was the Museum of Egyptian Antiquities.  An assistant curator there once informed me that the museum held over 120,000 items, with merely a few hundred on display; the remainder being locked up in storerooms and vaults.  After wandering amongst all the oversized statues, plus King Tut’s treasure, including his world-famous golden funerary mask, and hundreds of other artifacts of antiquity; here was the kicker:  The curator said, since the Egyptians had been at it for more than 5,000 years, the museum’s collection hadn’t even scratched the surface.  There are tons, upon tons, of ancient Egyptian stuff lying out there under the sand; patiently waiting for the next Howard Carter to dig them up.

Museum of Egyptian Antiquities.
The museum’s gallery.
Pharaoh Menkaure.
Solid gold collar taken from Tutankamun’s tomb.
Tutankamun’s innermost coffin.
Tutankamun’s mask, front and back.

     And as I sat on my rug, sipping coffee in the early golden light of that Egyptian dawn – still thunderstruck by the pyramids - I tore my eyes away from them; glancing at the empty desert stretching endlessly for miles behind us.  I just knew, dear reader - from the tingling in the bottom of my left testicle - I was looking at a ton of ancient Egyptian stuff dying to be dug up out there, somewhere under all that sand.    

     Where’s my Indiana Jones hat and shovel?

        *     *     *     *     *

     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog