*     *     *     *     *

     Following the “Booke Seven Arrival” on our Jeppesen Plate, we departed the emerald-green garden island of Kauai.  Descending through the broken cloud layer we passed the “BOOKE” waypoint, and when we reached the “SHIGI” waypoint, Honolulu radar vectored us to intercept the ILS to Runway Eight Left (080°/260° magnetic, NE/SW).

     While performing this descending instrument approach, we eventually broke out of 
the clouds; allowing my first view of distant Oahu Island off our nose.  And it occurred 
to me – since we were approaching the island from the northwest – this was perhaps 
the identical sight the Japanese pilots had, when they attacked Pearl Harbor in 1941.

     After touching down on the 12,300-foot Runway Eight Left, we made the relatively short taxi to the international terminal; parking our 747-312 “Big Top” at Gate 28.

     By the time I cleared customs and immigration, caught the crew bus and checked in 

at the hotel, I wearily stumbled to my room at roughly 8:30 A.M.

     During my first year with SIA, we were put up at an arm pit of a hotel – the Ala Moana Americana – which I’d personally rate at 2.5 stars.  All the other airlines’ crews appeared to be billeted there; along with general riffraff.  While attempting to sleep before my flight, in my tacky room with paper-thin walls, there always seemed to be some party or fight going on in the hallway or room next door.  Jamming in my ear plugs, I’d smother myself with a pillow, in the vain attempt to catch a few “Zs”.

     Such was the glamorous life of an airline pilot in Honolulu, dear reader.

     The only redeeming feature of the hotel was the distant “Wyland Whaling Wall,” outside my picture window.  There was this huge building, in the shape of an “L” laying on its back, on Ala Moana Blvd. where Wyland painted a mural 300 feet long, including a section 20 stories high, of a pod of Hawaiian humpback whales.  This spectacular piece of artwork was breathtaking!

     However, a Japanese company, with no soul, heart, or appreciation of art, fought with the city in court over Wyland’s mural.  After a lengthy battle, and bribes, the Japs got the legal green light to build the ugliest high rise hotel on Waikiki; purposely obliterating Wyland’s masterpiece from sight.

                  *     *     *     *     *





Comments

Popular posts from this blog