*     *     *     *     * 

     Boston-Logan International Airport.

     On Final Approach - Runway 22 Left – at Boston-Logan International Airport.

     It was mid-October, 1986, when I did one particular Boston layover and found myself tossing and turning, unable to get any sleep.  At last giving up, I decided perhaps a brisk walk would tire me out.

     Presidential had put us up at the venerable Omni Parker House Hotel, #60 School St., built originally in 1855.

     I went around the corner to Tremont Street, and found the thoroughfare being relatively empty that night.

     My wandering route that night from the hotel.

     As I sauntered past the Old Granary Burial Ground - observing its badly weathered, leaning gravestones – the hair on the back of my neck came to attention.

     This is the final resting place for many notable Revolutionary War-era patriots, including three signers of the Declaration of Independence, Paul Revere, and five victims of the Boston Massacre.

The famous “Midnight Ride of Paul Revere.” Holy Fuck! “The British are coming...the British are coming!”

     John Hancock... signer of the Declaration of Independence.

     Being alone at night, dear reader, and not that familiar with Boston, the graveyard gave me the creeps.

          *     *     *     *     *  

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog